Here’s a guide to things to do in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Bonnet House Museum and Gardens
It is designed in the 1920s by Frederic Clay Bartlett, an American artist from Chicago. The Bonnet House is a beautiful example of Hispanic architecture, with its bright yellow and blue colors. The house’s furniture and extensive art collection have been preserved on the premises. Works include paintings by Pablo Picasso and Paul Gauguin, as well as original paintings by Frederic Clay Bartlett and his wife Lilly.
But what makes this visit really interesting is the lush gardens of this vintage house. It contains no less than five different ecosystems:
- Swans and turtles stroll peacefully along the pond
- Raccoons search for their lunch
- Amazonian parrots fly around
Keep your eyes wide open as you explore for one of Costa Rica’s three wild monkey scorpions, playing in the trees on the property, in complete freedom! An unlikely encounter in Florida!
Located along the north and south banks of the New River, which runs through downtown Fort Lauderdale, the Riverwalk is truly unique. During your walk, you will encounter parks, shops, numerous luxury yachts, and historic buildings. And sometimes even the biggest iguanas you’ve ever seen!
On the way, you can observe many historic sites such as:
- The King-Cromartie House dating back to 1907.
- The New River Inn, founded in 1905, which is the oldest hotel in Broward County.
- The Stranahan House Museum, located in a building that once served as the town hall and post office. It was built in 1901 by the town’s founder, Frank Stranahan.
If you don’t want to walk, another great option is to take a boat cruise on the river.
Boulevard de Las Olas is kind of like the Ocean Drive of Miami Beach. It is a long boulevard, starting from the beach and extending into downtown Fort Lauderdale. For those who are familiar with the area, it’s the place to be seen!
There are small shops, art galleries, restaurants, and cafes on each side of the street. You can also find:
- Autographed posters of famous rock bands
- Designer clothes for Harley Davidson fans
- Jewelry with precious stones
- Works of art
You’ll be able to find anything.
It is the perfect place to enjoy the nightlife and browse the bars, clubs, and restaurants, most of which have outdoor tables.