According to the National Weather Center, it is useful to organize your hurricane season preparation in stages
- Stage 1: Determine your risk
No matter if you live on the coastline or inland you need to evaluate your risk. It should include rip currents and large waves, floods, heavy rain, and strong winds. Before hurricane season starts, check your coverage with your insurance agent.
- Stage 2: Work on a plan
Depending where you live, prepare a plan for evacuation. Decide where will you go and strategize your route to evacuate. This stage also includes a plan for your pet.
- Stage 3: Prepare your supplies
Remember to have food, water, medication, and basic supplies for at least 3 days. Have radios, batteries, and chargers handy.
- Stage 4: Strengthen your home
Collect loose items outside your house, trim trees, cover your windows in advance to hurricane arrival or shop for hurricane windows. Find a safe place for your car
- Stage 5: Be a good neighbor
Offer help and assist them if they need it
- Stage 6: Let the members of your family know the plan and also notify friends where will you be in case a hurricane hit
Be prepared. Hurricane season is here