Filing for an insurance claim payment process is a big step, getting the right claim is another. A lot of homeowners fall prey on improper estimates and underpaid claims. And to ensure that you won’t end up like this, you might as well read the fine print. Know what you can demand to your insurance company. This way, you will get the accurate payment for your claims.
Be it for fire, flood, hurricanes, and so on, the following tips will help you out:
- Contact your agent – Once the need for an insurance payment arises, review your policy right away. The home insurance claim process can be excruciating if you’re blind to what is covered. Once you’re sure of what you can demand, contact your agent. If you got lost of who is who, contact your bank to know who your insurer is and your insurer will direct you to your agent. This will be the first step to get the home insurance claim check.
- Ask for advance payment – Your insurance company may take weeks to release the check for your claim payment. To avoid the stall on repairs, ask for an advance payment. This will cover the immediate needs for repairs without the urge to shell out your own cash. Such initial funding will cover the clean-up, temporary roof fix, lodging cost, and so on. If you experience a fire, this payment will be useful in securing the property based on the fire department guidelines. Follow these homeowners insurance claims tips and you’re golden.
- Document what you lost – Whatever calamity or tragedy your property has gone into, make sure that you start documenting what you’ve lost. List all the items down, from clothing to your most expensive appliance. Don’t sign any insurance document yet until you’re done with the inventory of the items. You might be fooled to inking a document that states your initial declaration is the full amount to be covered. It will take time to list all your lost possessions.
- Seek the help of family and friends – You don’t have to go through the process of property losses on your own. Ask your friends and family for emotional support. They can also help you out with the inventory process and searching for the actual price of the items. You can also designate a family member to keep track of the expenses being incurred for the repairs. This is so you can file it to the insurance company.
- Hire a public adjuster – If you want to ensure that you’ll get the right payment up to the last cent, it’s best to hire a public adjuster. Usually, public adjuster fees in Florida are affordable enough for homeowners to avail. A public adjuster will help you calculate the actual cost of the damage and what you should claim from your insurance company. Aside from the item as it is, they will also factor in the costs connected to additional repairs.
The insurance claim payment process doesn’t have to be a daunting task. By asking the help of a public adjuster, securing the right payment would be more worthwhile.