Hurricane Season precautions and preparedness
Advice for when a storm strikes
Hurricane preparedness is not only about insurance claims. There are many additional factors to consider. Here is a short list.
1. Understand Your Insurance Policy: It is very important, especially now that we are in the Hurricane season, to understand the terms and conditions of your insurance policy. You need to know what is covered and what is not. Don’t wait until the last minute, before the arrival of a hurricane or a big storm, because you won’t be able to get an insurance, not even adjust your current one
2. Take Care of Yourself: Before, during, and after a hurricane can be very dangerous. The first days and weeks after a storm are the most dangerous period. Injuries as consequence of falling from ladders, or by high tension cables snapping during storms and falling to the ground are possible. Be very careful
3. Avoid Scams: When disasters strike, some individuals might try to take advantage of you. Be aware of scammers. If you need to file an insurance claim, it is a good idea to do it with the help of a licensed public adjusters.
4. Get to know your neighbors: We are stronger as a community than as individuals. The more you share with others in your community, the more likely it will help ensure a recovery free of scams and frauds.
5. Have a plan: Your strategy must be specific to your environment, your community, your home, and your business. Plan ahead and have all your insurance information in a safe place